SEARCH the Guide, by date, band, artist, event, festival, etc. (in addition to the sidebar)

Monday, January 4, 2016

Fresh Music News to Start Your 2016...


.
.
Should auld acquaintance be forgot...

"We will be known forever by the tracks we leave." — Native American proverb.

★★★★★★
♬ ♬ ♬ ♬ ♬

HAPPY 2016!

We've been wrapped-up watching the Oscar nominated movies, and off the music beat of late.

We begin this New Year with our wishes to you and yours for a very HAPPY start to a most fulfilling, enlightening, joy-filled New Year, abundant with new discoveries, learning new things and mastering and sharing old ones, we raise a toast to fabulous collaborations, delightful ensemble efforts, dazzling personal creativity, to time for sunshine on your shoulders, starlight in your eyes, rain in your smiling open mouth, gentle waves around your bare feet, feeling vast fields of flowers on your skin, and to usefulness, making a difference, and to your own mindful awareness of the bright promise of each and all of these things, every single day!

+=+=+=+=+=+

IN THIS EDITION...

1)  RIP to New York City's "Music Row"
2)  A Tribute to the Late P.F. SLOAN, Thursday, Jan. 7, in Altadena
3)  Local Open Mic Vying for Award
4)  Zydeco for Bernie Sanders at the Golden Sails
5)  "Quintessential Beethoven Experience" in Pasadena,  Jan. 9 is Much More
6)  MUSICIAN, IN BATTLE FOR LIFE AGAINST CANCER, NEEDS YOUR HELP

+=+=+=+=+=+

# 1 news feature...

RIP TO NEW YORK CITY'S "MUSIC ROW"

It was where you went to get an instrument repaired, restored, or replaced. Or to meet musicians, get a gig, get a pick up spot sitting in with a touring band. Or for lessons, rentals, starter instruments, upgrades, mentors, sheet music that would challenge you to master, and gateways to new worlds. It was all that, for generations of musicians and those who plucked a string or struck a drum for casual recreation. Even visitors knew it.

New York City's "Music Row" was thoroughly approachable, accessible, democratic, open to all comers. Not at all like the place in Nashville that bears the same name but is Valhalla for an elite.

And word arrived this morning that it's gone. All of it.

It came not from a source you think of for music news, but in Monday morning's "New York Tipsheet" from Politico, picked up from an item we missed when it was first reported in the New York Times. In addition to the quip we used as our title, Politico added their proclamation, "Sound of Silence."

No doubt there will be memories and lamentations shared at the annual NAMM Show later this month in Anaheim. And certainly, discussions of what rising urban real estate values do to rents paid by music retailers and venues alike.

Meantime, here's the original story Patrick McGeehan wrote in the NY Times, “Accordion Store’s Departure Signals End of Manhattan’s Music Row" — 

“For decades, musicians from around the world flocked to a segment of West 48th Street in Manhattan that was known as Music Row. Both sides of the block, just off Times Square, were lined with shops that sold and repaired guitars, drums, keyboards and other instruments.

"But the music finally died there in December when the last holdout, Alex Carozza, packed up his accordion store and 50 years of memories and moved off the block.

"Now, all that is left of Music Row are the signs and awnings that beckoned to virtuosos and neophytes alike. The block is haunted by empty buildings and the occasional tourist straining for some echo of its harmonious past.

"Where once there were Manny’s and Rudy’s and New York Woodwind and Brass, Frank Wolf Drummers Supplies and We Buy Guitars, now there are demolition crews, ‘for rent’ notices and a construction office for the glass tower going up around the corner.”

Original story in the NY Times:
http://nyti.ms/1SuzJpr

Since we found it where we did: the story and more are in Monday morning's "Politico New York Tipsheet" at:
http://www.politico.com/tipsheets/new-york-playbook/2016/01/politico-new-york-playbook-cuomos-homeless-order-de-blasios-new-albany-posture-rip-music-row-211964

+=+=+=+=+=+
+=+=+=+=+=+

# 2 news feature...

A TRIBUTE TO THE LATE P.F. SLOAN, THURSDAY, JANUARY 7, IN ALTADENA

Performers (so far) are Carla Olson, John York, Peter Lewis, Stephen Kalinich, Duane Thorin, and the Licata Brothers. Expect more.

P.F. Sloan was a singer-songwriter legend whose career was full of the heights and depths and stories of one of the best artists of our time. Many know his song, “Eve of Destruction,” famously recorded by Barry McGuire. P.F. also penned other classic '60s hits, including “Secret Agent Man," ”Where You When I Needed You,” ”You Baby,” and more. With his sudden passing (reported in the Guide), many artists and friends who have been influenced by his work are gathering for a musical and storytelling tribute to him.

Musicians delivering tuneful tributes include Textones front woman / solo singer-songwriter / producer Carla Olson; former Byrds member and recent partner to Barry McGuire, John York; former member of The Moby Grape, Peter Lewis; poet and Beach Boy lyricist, Stephen Kalinich; his local friend, Duane Thorin; and the young upcoming talented brothers, The Licatas. The evening will be a one-of-a-kind performance, a time to remember P.F. Sloan with some of the finest artist from the L.A. area. Make your reservations promptly as this show is sure to sell-out. 

The venue is the always delightful Coffee Gallery Backstage, where P.F. Sloan recently staged a comeback. The address is 2029 N. Lake Av, Altadena. Phone for reservations (a must; 10 am-10 pm, 7 days) at 626-798-6236. Tickets are $20. Show time is 8 pm, and you should arrive early for your choice of seats.


+=+=+=+=+=+
+=+=+=+=+=+

# 3 news feature...

LOCAL OPEN MIC VYING FOR AWARD

Last year, the Guide brought you a feature story (with numerous follow-ups) on a new "listening room" open mic in the supportive environs of an art gallery in Long Beach. Finally gone was the oft-voiced complaint, "I know it was a new original song, but I just couldn't hear it over all the people randomly talking."

That very special — and thus far, singular — open mic continues and has been nominated in the annual "Best Of" recognitions bestowed by a Long Beach newspaper through online reader votes.

The weekly open mic in Long Beach is the brain child of musician Geo. McCalip, who hosts and enforces the respect-for-music-and-musicians atmosphere. Geo tells the Guide, "We are currently running a strong second place in the Long Beach Post readers’ poll for  Best Open Mic in Long Beach. With 'a little help from my friends,' we can win this."

Anyone can vote. You are limited to one vote per device (i.e., computer, phone, tablet, etc.) per day. Voting ends at 11:59 pm on Friday, January 8, 2016.

To vote, go to —

http://lbpost.com/life/2000007782-best-of-long-beach-2015-arts-culture-entertainment

— where you can vote for "The Listening Room at Gina M. Woodruff Gallery." It's almost at the bottom of the Open Mics.

Of course, the venue and event invite you to come and play. Just arrive before things start, or you'll be held outside until a break between musicians. That's part of what it means to play a respectful listening room.

The Gina M. Woodfuff Gallery is located at 5555 E Stearns St, Long Beach 90815. The phone is 562-519-1614.

The series runs every Monday, 7 to 9:30 pm, with signups beginning at 6:40 pm. The venue is between TJ's and Stearns. Use the entrance to the lobby. From there take the stairs or elevator to the second floor. The event staff closes the door very shortly after 7 and reopens it only between songs. So be there before 7 pm.


+=+=+=+=+=+
+=+=+=+=+=+

# 4 news feature...

ZYDECO FOR BERNIE SANDERS AT THE GOLDEN SAILS

There are two events reported here, one January 10, the other January 23.

Disproportionate to our numbers, musicians always take the lead to support deserving causes, including exciting candidates for high political office whose election could shape a better world for all of us.

That's the spirit of a special gig by DAVID SOUSA AND THE ZYDECO MUDBUGS playing

* Sunday, January 10, 4:30 to 7:30 pm at a good venue in Long Beach.

This one is a FREE Zydeco dance, open to one and all. Or you could go and listen and watch the dancers.

David Sousa tells us, "Although Bernie supporters are invited, this is not a political event. You don't have to support Bernie (or even know who he is) in order to be there... It's a chance to introduce Zydeco and Bernie to each other and see if anything sticks."

Venue is the Golden Sails Hotel, 6285 E Pacific Coast Hwy, Long Beach 90803

For info, email Jerry Schaefer at
cutbanks@gmail.com

* Second event...

In addition, there's a Bernie-themed Jam Session — with gumbo(!) — at "Joe’s," on Saturday, January 23. Guy, the organizer, says "Bring your instrument and come play some tunes with us. Please RSVP so that we know how many heads to count for the gumbo."

Reservations get location and directions for the Jan. 23 "Jam at Joe's," which runs "Noon 'til we can't play anymore."

Call Guy at 310-463-6434, or Joe at 626-572-0313, or email for the details:

sandersfontenot@gmail.com

Organizers sent a YouTube link, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSiGvLcOSd0


+=+=+=+=+=+
+=+=+=+=+=+

# 5 news feature...

"QUINTESSENTIAL BEETHOVEN EXPERIENCE" IN PASADENA JANUARY 9 IS MUCH MORE

The renowned Pasadena Symphony and POPS welcome Conductor Nicholas McGegan as he returns to Pasadena for two performances dubbed the "Quintessential Beethoven Experience."

On Saturday, January 9, at 2 pm & 8 pm, the symphony presents Beethoven's "Emperor" Piano Concerto with Nicholas McGegan, conductor, and pianist Sean Chen. But wait. The program also includes Prokofiev's Classical Symphony, Schubert's Unfinished Symphony, and oh yeah, Beethoven.

Two-time Grammy nominee Nicholas McGegan, “One of the finest baroque conductors of his generation” (London Independent), returns to Pasadena specifically to conduct Beethoven’s beloved fifth and final piano concerto.

For McGegan’s highly anticipated return, pianist Sean Chen will bring to life Beethoven's sublime, beautiful, and exuberant piano concerto. A Van Cliburn competition winner, Chen has earned accolades for “alluring, colorfully shaded renditions" (New York Times), and was recently named a 2015 fellow by the prestigious Leonore Annenberg Fellowship Fund for the Performing Arts. A native of Oak Park, CA, Mr. Chen returns to his Southern California roots for this exclusive engagement.

Advertised curtain times are 2 & 8 pm. For both shows, go one hour early for the pre-concert discussion with the conductor.

The Pasadena Symphony’s jam-packed Classics season continues into 2016 with this concert in the Ambassador Auditorium. Check their website for more.

Tix at 626-793-7172 or
www.pasadenasymphony-pops.com
More info:
www.pasadenasymphony-pops.org

+=+=+=+=+=+
+=+=+=+=+=+

# 6 news feature...

MUSICIAN, IN BATTLE FOR LIFE AGAINST CANCER, NEEDS YOUR HELP

(The Guide continues to run this feature from December because the need is great and immediate.)

Original title:
LIFE-AND-DEATH BATTLE FOR BRILLIANTLY FUNNY MUSICIAN KACEY JONES

Wait. Hold on. Please read this — because it gets life-and-death serious, really fast.

We can't spend time telling you that she has been acclaimed by everybody from "People" magazine to USA Today to Kris Kristofferson, sung duets with Garrison Keillor on "A Prairie Home Companion," done tv's "America's Got Talent," that she was a favorite guest on our old "Tied to the Tracks" radio show, that she's a longtime full-time musician who produced the # 1 Americana record of 1999 (making her a GRAMMY-nominated record producer), that she has enjoyed platinum and gold success with her songs performed by Ray Stevens and John Michael Montgomery, that she is solidly accomplished all-around, very talented, VERY funny, and that, throughout her career, she's generously played benefit shows — a lot of benefit shows. 

Because, right now, Kacey Jones is the one who needs help. Your help. And urgently.

Pause if you want, and enjoy her music at the link. But don't get lost. We need you back here. So go enjoy, but come back...

https://www.reverbnation.com/kaceyjones?popup_render=%2Fpage_object%2Fshare_page_object%2Fartist_1524407%3Ftab%3Dembed

The Guide recently did a news feature to direct you to hear Kacey Jones do a live performance on KABC radio in Los Angeles, when they flew her to L.A. to do her 10-year-old song about Donald Trump that is a sudden hit since that object of her barbed wit decided to play politician.

In fact, in Kacey's last email newsletter, she said, "I'm still having fun with 'Donald Trump's Hair.' The slide-show video has nearly 7,000 YouTube views and the LIVE version has over 15,000. If you've not yet seen it, here's a link to the slide-show video: https://youtu.be/-u0ObmB6lIo My sincere thanks to those of you who've played and shared the videos on YouTube. I hope to see you again soon, till then enjoy this beautiful Fall season. — Cheers! Kacey Jones."

And she closed, as usual, with her website address — www.kaceyjones.com — and email address — kacey@igorecords.com (again, don't run-off and get lost).

Kacey seemed to be on a roll, enjoying well-deserved success.

Then came this:

"Hello friend and thank you for being here,

"My name is Kacey Jones. I'm a professional singer, songwriter, musician, and humorist residing in Nashville, Tennessee. I'm a big believer in 'laughter is the best medicine' and I've had the pleasure of earning a living by making people laugh for over forty years. But sometimes you need more than laughter to meet a challenge. Sometimes you need a little help from your friends. This is one of those times.

"Nearly two years ago (January 30, 2014) I was diagnosed with stage-3 colorectal cancer. In my case, specifically, it's rectal cancer, which is not the most 'glamorous' type to have (as if there were such a thing) but hey, I've been a 'pain in the butt' to some people long before this!

"Within the first few months of my diagnosis I was told by three major hospitals that my 'only hope' was a protocol that included six weeks of chemo and radiation five days a week, followed by the surgical removal of my uterus, anus, and vagina, followed by six more months of chemo. That scared the heck out of me.

"I'm not afraid of dying, but I have a healthy fear of being poisoned, burned, and butchered. For the record, I have nothing against conventional medicine and I'm sincerely happy for those who've had success with it. But having watched my mother die a slow angonizing death after months of chemo and radiation, I decided long ago that it was not the path for me.

"Instead, I embarked on a wellness plan that includes althernative treatments and therapies, organic supplements, and a radical change in diet. Both of my holistic doctors are licensed MDs. I chose them because they also believe that cancer can be treated successully without chemo and radiation. I'm not cancer-free yet, but I believe I will be if I can just stay on this wellness path that I began nearly two years ago.

"The good news about the organic protocol I'm on is that my cancer has not metastacized. My vital organs are clear and I'm still in one piece, so I know we're doing SOMETHING right! And, though I'm not keeping my normal tour schedule because of the pain (which can be exhausting at times) I still feel well enough to perform an occasional concert. In fact, in an effort to give myself something to look forward to in 2015, I was a contestant on 'America's Got Talent.'

"The 'bad' news about my organic protocol is that none of my alternative treatments, therapies, and supplements are covered by insurance.

"I haven't gone public till now because I had hoped to be cancer-free by the time I'd gone through my savings. But the fact is, I still have a ways to go and I'm nearly out of funds.

"That's why I've launched this campaign. I'd love to stick around for a few more years and in order to do so, I need your help. I need to keep off the road so I can stay home and be completely committed to my healing. In the meantime, I still have to pay rent and utilities, buy groceries, pay bills, and continue with my alternative treatments and supplements, all of which equate to over $4,000.00 a month.

"I am not a cancer 'victim' because I refuse to hand over my power to this illness. I am a Wellness Warrior, and with your help I'm going to win this battle, not only because I have more songs to write and because I still find beauty in this world, but also because I want to be an example of hope for others who may have received a cancer diagnosis but are hesitant or too frightened to consider alternative medicine and the organic approach.

"During the course of my career I've been honored to perform at dozens of fundraisers to help cancer research and awareness and to support such organizations as St. Jude's, Alive Hospice, and the YMCA After Breast Cancer series. And I don't mind telling you, it's a lot easier being on the giving end of that equation.

"The chronic pain is a challenge, but thus far I've been able to manage it with pain meds. Ocassionally, when it gets me down, I remind myself how blessed I am to know so many good people. I'm extremely grateful for my precious Sweet Potato Queen gals, my 'Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour' friends, my fellow musicians, songwriters and Frank Brown Festival pals, my Mickey Newbury Gathering family, and the many friends and fans I've met in cities all over this country and around the world.

"To those who've complimented me on my weight loss and asked, 'How'd you do it?' I want you to know that I was telling you the truth when I said, 'I've been juicing.' I just didn't tell you the whole truth. I hope you can forgive me for that and try to understand that I needed to keep my life as 'normal' as I could for as long as possible so I could continue to work.

"This campaign will run indefinitely during which time I'll be posting video updates.

"Every little bit helps! My online campaign is called The Kacey Jones Wellness Warrior Fund and it's at

www.gofundme.com/kaceyjones

"If you prefer to donate with a check my personal snail mail address is:

Kacey Jones, P.O. Box 121253, Nashville, TN 37212

"(I will send a personal Thank You note to confirm receipt).

"My friends, it's not easy for an independent redhead like me to ask for assistance, but I am sincerely grateful for your help and for your compassion.

"With Love and Gratitude,
Kacey
xoxo"

* - * - *

The Guide's editor adds this: please help. And we note the additional poignancy of the title of Kacey's latest recording. You'll see it in the following comment:

"'Amen for Old Friends' is one of the best records to come out of Nashville since Willie left Dodge." — Kinky Friedman.

+=+=+=+=+=+
+=+=+=+=+=+

The Guide brings you frequent editions covering MUSIC NEWS and ticket alerts, published separately, and always available right here on the Guide's Blogspot site.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
More soon, as always.
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Direct to the current editions /

MOBILE-DEVICE-FRIENDLY

editions load quickly at
.
www.acousticamericana.blogspot.com
.
<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>
.
CONTACT US at / send Questions / Comments to: . Tiedtothetracks (at) Hotmail (dot) com
.
<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>
Contents copyright © 2015, Lawrence Wines & Tied to the Tracks. All rights reserved.
<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>
.
♪ The ACOUSTIC AMERICANA MUSIC GUIDE endeavors to bring you NEWS and views of interest to artists everywhere, more specifically to musicians and the creative community, and music makers and fans of acoustic and Folk-Americana music, both traditional and innovative. From the deepest roots to today’s acoustic renaissance, that’s our beat. We provide a wealth of resources, including a HUGE catalog of acoustic-friendly venues, and schedules and inside info on FESTIVALS and select performances in Southern California, in venues monumentally large and intimately small and cozy. We cover workshops and other events for artists and folks in the music industry, and all kinds o’ things in the world of acoustic and Americana and accessible classical music. From washtub bass to musical spoons to oboe to viola to banjo to squeezebox, from Djangostyle to new-fangled-old-time string band music, from sweet Cajun fiddle to bluegrass and pre-bluegrass Appalachian mountain music to all the roots of the blues and where the music is now.
.
The Acoustic Americana Music Guide. Thanks for sittin' a spell.
.
<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>-<^>
.


No comments: